Shooting Stars Ballet/ Jazz Dress Code:
Any color leotard, pink or tan tights, pink ballet shoes with a stretch binding or with drawstrings cut off or removed, tan slip-on jazz shoes (no ties).
Boys for Ballet/Jazz- Black pants with a white, grey, or black t-shirt, black ballet shoes, and black jazz shoes.
Shooting Stars Tap/PopHop Dress Code:
Any color leotard, pink tight or tan tights, black tap shoes with velcro, and clean sneakers black with white sole.
Boys for Tap/PopHop- Black pants with a white, grey, or black t-shirt and black tap shoes with velcro, and clean sneakers black with white soles.
Why do we have a dress code?
At Joy of Dance, we believe that adhering to a dress code gives students a sense of belonging to our family as well as creating an identity for our studio in the greater community. Dance is a discipline and that begins with the way a dancer dresses for class.
Instructors need to be able to see students’ arms, legs, hip and knee joints, and muscles to ensure proper movements are being made, to prevent injury, and to give proper correction to form. Dance styles have different dress codes to bring out the best in that dance style. Instructors have permission to make changes to the dress code as they feel necessary throughout the year.
Our dress code also:
- Encourages discipline
- Increases a sense of belonging and school pride
- Promotes an accepting and positive environment
Therefore, it is very important for dancers to follow the dress code.
- Hair neatly up in a ponytail, out of the dancer’s face
- No jewelry should be worn to class except stud earrings in pierced ears.
- Ballet shoes should have a stretch binding, eliminating the need for the drawstring. If a drawstring is used, please pull it out of the shoe. This helps to avoid dancers tripping on elastics and teachers spending time on tieing them.
- Dancers ages 10 and up must bring a water bottle with them to class.
You can order your dancewear needs with us here:
You can also find all the items you need at the two local dance stores listed below:
Twinkle Toes: 80 Lafayette Rd, Hampton Falls, NH 03844
Brixham Dancewear: 5 Punkintown Rd, South Berwick, ME 02908
Shoes can also be found here:
Reds Shoe Barn, 35 Broadway, Dover, NH 03820
Please ensure all parts of your child’s dancewear are clearly labeled – individual shoes, socks, underpants… You’ll be amazed at the amount of lost property we find!